North Central Zonal Office
Locations: Jos, Plateau State.
Zonal Coordinator: Alhassan Danjuma Aliyu
Direct Labour Compound,Vom Road Jos,
The activities of NEMA North Central Zone in 2011 are geared towards proactive response in all the phases of disaster management of preparedness, prevention, mitigation, response and reconstruction/Rehabilitation with more emphasis on disaster risks reduction in line with the International strategy for disaster risks reduction (ISDR).The activities were carried out in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders in the zone.
NEMA North central zone in its quest to manage disaster to its barest minimum had carried out sensitization awareness campaigns, meeting with stakeholders on disaster management, direct distribution of relief materials to victims of disaster following the aftermath of Natural and manmade disasters, assessment of disaster to ascertain its magnitude for intervention, training of NEMA/NYSC Emergency management vanguard (EMV) in various NYSC orientation camps to propagate disaster management at the grassroots, Contingency planning meetings with stakeholders and Sensitization lectures/campaigns by Emergency Management Vanguards . The inclusion of the following Pictures is to amplify the activities of the zone in the year under review.
The following meetings, Workshops, Visits and sensitizations were held in the year under review to create awareness on disaster management with special attention to disaster risks reduction.
- NEMA/NYSC Sensitization lectures and Training of Emergency Management Vanguards (EMV) in various orientation camps in the zones in March, July and November, 2011 respectively.
- One day Training for NEMA SAROs, ERT Volunteers and stakeholders on scene of safety on 20th April,2011.
- Two day Interactive forum on coordination and networking in disaster with DRUs and security agencies in the North central zone on 25th May, 2011.
- One day Interactive forum to develop a contingency planning on preparedness and response to communal, political and religious conflicts in the North central zone on 8th June, 2011.
- Workshop/Inauguration of Executive Emergency Volunteers on disaster risks reduction on 23th June, 2011.
- Demonstration/Display exercise on rescue from high rise building by zonal search and rescue officers on 28th July, 2011.
- Workshop on mainstreaming the vulnerable groups in Disaster management, 10th August, 2011.
- Inauguration of zonal Media and Information committee on Emergency (MICEM) on 25th August,2011.
- Visit of DG NEMA to Jos to assess the level of damage following the communal crisis in Jos and it environs on 17th September, 2011.
- Workshop on Effective camps management during disaster for SEMA, NGOs, CBOs and relevant stakeholders from 28th -30th September,2011.
- Visit of NEMA officials from Abuja to meet with CAN Plateau state chapter on 25th October,2011.
- Meeting of NEMA Officials from Abuja with CAN Plateau state Chapter to reconcile some issues on relief materials during the recent Jos crisis.
- Read More